Friday, August 18, 2023

Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid - book review

 

BOOK REVIEW – FIVE STARS

Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid

A once in a life time epic adventure brought to fruition by a young high school graduate of Norwegian extraction. Meticulously planned and spurned on by youthful exuberance this escapade would prove to be a dangerous undertaking.

I originally read the book over thirty years ago. This trip had been in my mind my whole life and as adventuresome as I am I was very happy that Eric Sevareid made the trip and documented it so exquisitely to satisfy my dreams of wanderlust.

The book is a real thriller even on the second read.

Excerpts:

Two young men about to graduate from high school, begins as do many youthful dreams. On the cusp of adulthood, with nothing ostensible to lose, Eric Sevareid and his friend Walt Port decide to leave the comforts of their homes to seek adventure—in a secondhand, eighteen-foot, voyageur-style canoe. While Minneapolis was already a mature city in 1930, the wilderness of the great north woods was as close as a train stop, or two, away. Early in the boys’ trip, just a few hundred into the eventual 2,500 miles, they look out over the Minnesota River from a tower at Fort Ridgely. From this high vantage Sevareid muses that there is much more river ahead! Their long trek north along many rivers, passing early trading posts and eventually reaching the great Hudson Bay and sea beyond, would be the first documented canoe trip along this historic route.


I am sure there were tears in his eyes, and I know there were tears in mine, and in Walt’s. Half a mile away, at the first bend, we turned and saw his tall figure at the water’s edge. He was still watching us. The doctor’s parting words repeated themselves in my brain continually during the rest of the day: “Don’t let anyone, no matter who he is, convince you that your trip can’t be completed.

"You have youth and strength, and courage too, I hope, and with a little common sense you can do it.”

View my author's page on Amazon

No comments: